Friday, August 3, 2012

Comic-Con International: San Diego 2012 - Costume Recap

So I originally meant to do something like this last year after my first experience at SDCC, but it was something I just never got around to.  Once I have access to those photos again, I might eventually do it just to be thorough and all caught up.  Until then, I can at least recap who - and what - I saw at SDCC 2012.  (Just a warning now, this is quite long and very image-heavy.)


Thursday.  Unexpectedly, my camera turned on in the bag at one point, and then the repetitive on-and-off drained the battery further, so it crapped out and the battery died by the afternoon.  I did manage to get catch some great costumes early in the day though...
Awesome... Halo guy.  First really great costume I saw while outside in line to pick up badges that morning.
TMNT!  There was a lot of "Turtles" promotion going on over the weekend, so I have to wonder if these guys were there officially as part of that campaign.
Surprisingly, not the only Mrs. Frizzle I saw over the weekend.  But she was the best.
SO glad I managed to see this guy.  We only ran into him because he was cruising by the wall where we were literally cooling our heels.
Stormtrooper and Jawa, working together peaceably.  (Also, bonus weird owl-faced guy.)
Same duo.  This looks very similar to the Jawa I saw last year...
Disney villains group.  Easily one of the best groups I saw all weekend.  Despite seeing them a few times, I never managed to get a photo with everyone visible.  But if memory serves me, they had a Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty), Jafar (Aladdin), Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), Captain Hook (Peter Pan), Yzma (The Emperor's New Groove), Evil Queen (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves), Dr. Facilier (The Princess and the Frog), Horned King (The Black Cauldron), and even the hunter that shot Bambi's mom (Bambi).  (The Horned King is in the back there, between Gaston and Hook.  The hunter's sleeve is visible between Jafar and Gaston.)
The Horned King was one of my favorites, because it's comparatively obscure and I'd never seen it done before.  And also the deer hunter, because who even does that?  Very clever.
Fem version of the Masked Bandit from The Fall.  One of my all-time favorite movies and definitely one of my dream costumes, so she had my seal of approval.
Friday.  I made sure to bring the camera's battery charger along this time.  It still crapped out and had to be charged about halfway through the day, but at least I had the option to do something about it.  For convenience, I'm definitely going to invest in a second battery to carry with, so when one dies I can just swap them out and charge both that night to be fresh again for the next day...
Avengers group, minus Black Widow and Hulk.  Plus radical fan.
Disney heroines/princesses as superheroes.  Back row, left to right: Jasmine (Aladdin), Megara (Hercules), Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves), Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Esmeralda (The Hunchback of Notre Dame), Giselle (Enchanted), Jane (Tarzan), Tiana (The Princess and the Frog).  Front row, l to r: Merida (Brave), Wendy? (Peter Pan), Pocahontas (Pocahontas), Mulan (Mulan), Alice (Alice in Wonderland), Nala (The Lion King).  Ariel was with them too but missed the photo op.  These kind of costumes/groups are some of my favorites: taking a very familiar and often-done idea and tweaking it to make something original.
Possibly my greatest "seething jealousy" moment of the weekend.  A bunch of amazingly dressed Marvel cosplayers got to take photos on the Marvel stage with the man himself, Stan Lee.  Some of these people had such well-designed and well-made costumes, we originally thought they worked for Marvel.  I love the SHIELD agents in their blue/white uniforms.
War Machine and Iron Man.  That guy looked so eerily like Tony Stark/RDJ, it made us do double-takes every time we saw him that day.
Black Widow and Hawkeye.  That would be Lady Skywalker as Widow.  I love seeing in person cosplayers I'm familiar with from their online galleries.  But then I never know what to say...
Really great Avengers-style Captain America we saw several times that day.  (Who I may or may not have been creeping on.  Sorry, Cap.)
Steampunk group promoting their booth.  I love that steampunk is not only a big thing in general now, but that it has such a presence at Comic-Con.
I am and always will be first and foremost a Star Wars fan, but I do love seeing some Trek.
Very nice Jedi costumes on display for sale.
Tesla would be proud.  The Doctor would not.
Amazing Vader.  It was next to impossible to get a good photo because he was always surrounded by cameras.
Best Spider-Man we saw.
Imperial Guard, working one of the Star Wars booths.
The 501st and the Rebel Legion peacefully sharing adjoining floorspace on the Mezzanine.
Another thing I love about Comic-Con: pop culture and steampunk costumes may be predominate, but the historical reenactors are always there in full rattle.
Same Tony from the Marvel booth, this time with harem in tow.
Captain America war bond tour chorus girls.  I think a few of them may have been part of the Facebook costuming group.
Girls vs. boys.
Round 2.
Round 3.
We'll call it a draw.
Captain America and... Captain America.  I actually really loved this guy's take on a modern military-inspired Cap.
Not even going to try naming everyone here.  It was basically Marvel vs. Capcom I think.
My favorite.  This kid had no shame.  Rock on, Finn.
See?  Totally not...
creeping on...
Captain America.
Cap and Cap with their supporting ladies and... Sailor somebody or something.
These two were champs.  Gambit and Rogue weren't there together and didn't even know each other, but they were still happy to get cozy and pose for us.
Cap and his ladies.  (This is the last Captain America photo.  I promise.)
The family that cosplays together, stays together.  Dad as Iron Man, Mom as an Ironette, and the little tyke as a mini Whiplash.
His helmet was pretty awesome: it actually had a working opening mechanism.
Buttercup and Westley.  It doesn't really show up here, but the pleating in her sleeves was AMAZING.
Dr. Dooooom.
Awesome and creepy Penguin.
Prop auction booth - Edward Scissorhands and that one be-caped superhero.
Willy Wonka.
Hellboy!
Saturday... we didn't have Con tickets.  Alas.  So we spent the morning checking out the Batmobile display over by the Hilton, then the rest of the day at the U.S.S. Midway Museum, San Diego Maritime Museum, and catching up with the Vegas crew since we weren't staying at the same hotel this year.  I did manage to get a few photos while walking through Gaslamp and around the outside of the convention center...
Some lovely zombie ladies.
Waldo Stormtrooper.  Best easy costume ever.
The dog... one of the funniest things I saw all weekend.  He rode that thing down the sidewalk in front of the convention center.  One of the most laid-back and relaxed dogs I've ever seen.
That's his owner on the left operating the remote control.
Sunday.  Back to the convention center!  Being a shorter and generally slower day, there weren't quite as many people or costumes on the floor.  But there were still cosplayers out in force, and we did get a good look at more prop replicas...
Spent a good deal of time at the eFx Collectibles booth.  A nice Star Wars offering here.
Of special interest to me was the Marvel selection, which apparently is still in development as it's not available on their online store yet.  Cap's helmet and shield...
.
Iron Man's helmet...
.
Thor's helmet and Mew-mew...
.
The props guy let me test this baby out.  Pretty awesome.  It wasn't unbearably heavy, but it had a very nice and realistic weight to it.  Well, maybe not realistic to the comic world...
Wouldn't mind having one of these.  Just sayin'.  I did break down and buy their set of vintage-style Captain America posters.  The "buy war bonds" poster a la Uncle Sam is visible in the corner up there.  The other two are variations on the war bond tour poster, one of which - much to my delight - has the "Tour Cancelled" banner across it (as seen on the wall of the pub across from the bar where Steve and Bucky talk before Peggy shows up).
They also had some cool Star Trek stuff...
and a whole grouping of Batman stuff (of course).  I didn't get any close-ups of the rest because to be honest it didn't really interest me quite enough.  But some of it is visible in the background of the other photos I got (most notably the Cap helmet/shield photo).

We went back to the Marvel booth and got to see one of the latest Iron Man suits on rotating display.  I've heard conflicting details about this mark, either that it's one of the suits from The Avengers or that it's a preview of a suit to be used in Iron Man 3.
.
.
.
I also got these shots of the suits in the background on Friday, but I thought I'd throw them in here since there was less to post for Sunday.
Mark I.
Mark II (which became War Machine?).
Mark III.
Mark IV.
Mark V (the briefcase suit).
Mark VI (the post-paladium replacement suit).
Mark VII.
Remember how I said I didn't have any more photos of Cap?  I lied.
Back to Sunday...  No idea who these guys were, but their gear looked good.
Awesome goofy Dark Helmet.
.
Lovely lady Cap.  I really liked her original take on the suit, and WWII-style is always golden in my book.
We missed Adam Savage as a Ringwraith, but we did see this guy.  He was hilarious, but I felt bad that everyone kept calling him Sauron.  The Ringwraiths were the ones actively looking for the ring, and Sauron never wore anything like that.  Honestly.
Bob's Big Boy!  I saw him last year too, but I'm not sure I got a photo of him then.
Some very dapper steampunk chaps.  British pseudo-Victorian/colonial steampunk is my very favorite steampunk, so these guys are aces.
Really good Harley Quinn.
Deadmau5-pool.  Or Deadpool-mau5.  There were a surprising number of Deadpool incarnations.
Some Legend of Korra guys.  Because I'm a bad fan, I can't tell you who they are because I haven't actually started watching Korra yet.  And I didn't see any big Avatar group like last year, but I did see a couple other The Last Airbender-style Earthbenders together in a small group.
A VERY high quality Snow White.
 So that was pretty much it.  I feel like I saw less costumes this year, even though I was on the exhibit floor for three days instead of two.  It could be that in not attending panels, I took less photos overall so it seems like I took less photo costumes.  On the other hand, I missed Saturday on the floor, which last year provided the greatest number of costume sightings.  I can't promise when, but I will try to do a 2011 recap as well, because thinking about it again there were some awesome photos that I'd love to share.

*All photos are property of their respective owners me.

No comments:

Post a Comment